The Reculver and Beltinge Memorial Hall

The Reculver and Beltinge Memorial Hall in Beltinge have organised a Garden Trail which will take place on Sunday 23rd June 2024.

 

The hall is a charity and desperately needs a new roof which we are trying to raise funds for. The current roof leaks in places, is asbestos and needs specialist removal. The hall is an asset to the local community and around fifteen organisations including Fitness Classes, Craft Groups, Choir, Brownies – just to name a few – use the hall and it is also available for private hire.CommunityAd Exclusive - The Reculver and Beltinge Memorial Hall

We hold other fundraising events such as quiz nights, local bands/dance nights, craft fairs etc. In the past few years the Hall Committee volunteers have worked hard to improve the facilities at the hall including air conditioning, LED lighting, fire alarm system, PA system and many more.

Earlier in the year we had leaflets printed highlighting the proposed event encouraging people to open their gardens to the public. It was a slow response but we now have around ten gardens in Beltinge and Reculver for people to visit.

For tickets and more information, please visit www.ticketsource.co.uk/reculver-and-beltinge-memorial-hall or scan the QR in the poster above.

We are also holding a children’s miniature garden competition to encourage future generations to take an interest in nature. There will be refreshments and toilet facilities available at the hall on the day.

The following describes the history of the hall which is very interesting and not many people will be aware of the history or even of the existence of a hall in Beltinge.

 

History of the hall

There has been a hall on this site since the 1920s. The original hall was known as “Reculver and Beltinge Parish Hall” and was a First World War ex-army hut purchased for £200 and made of weatherboard with a corrugated roof.

A committee of gentlemen ran the hall and anyone wanting to hire it had to apply to the committee.

During the Second World War, the committee kindly gave furniture including settees to the Officer’s mess in Gainsborough Drive and to the soldiers club at Reculver Lodge and the Beltinge Auxiliary Fire Service.

In 1946 it was decided to re-name the hall “Reculver & Beltinge Memorial Hall” in honour of those that fought in the two World Wars.

Meanwhile, the hall was beginning to show the passing of time and with rats under the kitchen floor it was decided it was time to have a new hall.

Residents of the village went around collecting money from the local inhabitants and that’s how the money was raised for today’s hall. The freehold of the present site was purchased in 1954 and in April 1959 the foundation stone for today’s hall was laid.

The hall has nothing to do with the local council. It is governed by the Charities Commission on behalf of the villagers and is run by a voluntary committee of trustees duly elected each year from people who live in the parish of Reculver and by representative committee members from the groups that hire the hall on a regular basis.

Over the years these committees of volunteers have raised money and applied for grants to improve the hall and to keep up to date with all the rules and regulations needed to allow events to take place and to provide facilities for the disabled.

 

Elaine Parish

Exclusives by Area

Search